Main content

The complete history of the Mighty Magpies

23 August 1902 | Round 16

  • Fitzroy
  • vs.
  • Collingwood

Brunswick St Oval (Away)

  • 5.4 (34)

    • QT 11.2

    • QT 22.2

    • QT 34.4

    • QT 45.4

  • -

  • 13.9 (87)

    • QT 16.4

    • QT 27.5

    • QT 311.8

    • QT 413.9

Match Report


Only one more round of games now remain to be played before the semi-finals of the league premiership competition, and the position of the first four clubs are assured. Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy and Melbourne are the fortunate four. The matches in the semi-final will, therefore, be Collingwood v. Fitzroy. Essendon v. Melbourne.      

There were the games set down for last Saturday, and should the results then obtained be produces we should see Essendon and Collingwood playing off for the final. Collingwood, as leaders, now will have two chances, for, even if defeated, they as leaders in the first and second rounds, and with the better average, will have to play a grand final game for the premiership.            

Collingwood met Fitzroy at Fitzroy on Saturday, in the presence of a very large crowd, who had come expecting to see a fine struggle for supremacy.    

The magpies had their strongest team a field, but Fitzroy were without Fontain, Hince, and Brophy.
It was an extraordinary game, in which there was some very fine goal-kicking, and such a display of system and force on the Collingwood side as simply annihilated Fitzroy. 

In the opening quarter Collingwood, with the wind, got two goals (E. Lockwood and Rowell) before Barker, with a fine place shot, scored for Fitzroy. Angus and Rowell each got a goal, and A. Leech two, before the quarter ended, with the scores — Collingwood, 0-4; Fitzroy, 1-2. 

The leaders were playing strongly and surely, while their opponents fumbled, and missed the ball badly, Brosnan and Wilkinson each dropping marks within range. As soon as they crossed over Fitzroy attacked, but the rain which had been threatening came up, and the wind dropped.

A fine rush by M’Carthy gave Wilkinson the ball, and he passed to Naismith, who got Fitzroy’s second goal, which was met with an answer from Rowell, who scored after some fine passing between himself and Condon. Fitzroy were working hard, but were making little impression of Collingwood, whose passing and system were perfect. 

After half-time there was a wonderful quarter on an hour, in which four goals were scored without a behind.

Rowell, after marking between three Fitzroy men, scored a clever goal; Smith, for Fitzroy, got a high screw snapshot through the goal, though Naismith contributed to the success by keeping Proudfoot away as the ball bounced between the posts.

Collingwood men were playing all over Fitzroy, and Farrell marking shot for goal, and, as the ball fell short, Rowell dashed in, and scored, and a moment later Pannam with a running shot raised the two flags, and such a shout that it must have been heard at Victoria Park. One magpie supporter chortled in the press-box, and in his excitement yelled to his fellows “Stop: don’t get a record.” 

There was a laugh at his enthusiasm, but he was on top, and able to enthuse when such goal-kicking was being shown.

After a Fitzroy rally, the rain began to fall steadily, but it did not stop Collingwood, and Tulloch scored again. 

Before the quarter ended Fitzroy rallied a bit, and Sharpe hit the post, and Brosnan with a snapshot from an angle, brought up fourth goal.

At the final change Fitzroy were hopelessly beaten, the scores being 11.8 to 4.4. 

It rained all through the last quarter, but Fitzroy struggled on, and thought the magpies were their masters, they kept the big fellows going, and in the roughness which ensued the maroons had none of the worst. A free kick to Wilkinson brought Fitzroy a goal, but E. Lockwood scored again, and with the last kick of the day Rowell snapped Collingwood’s thirteenth goal, and the board showed Collingwood 18.9, Fitzroy 5.4.    
There was no room for doubt as to which was the better side, and no one admitted it more readily than the Fitzroy players themselves.

Every man on the winning side shone out. Dummett was the best of the backs, though M’Cormack ran him very close, and Monohan, Rush, G. Lockwood, and Proudfoot did good work. Pannam was invincible on one wing, and Allen on the other did fine work. F. Leach, in the centre, did well, and received more bumps than any other two men, I think. E. Lockwood and Rowell on the half-forward line were splendid, and their interchanges were beautiful to watch. Angus, A. Leach, and Hailwood did the solid ruck work well, and spelling forward, were useful, and the lighter touches of the ruck business were admirably provided by Fell, Condon, Tulloch, and Farrell.

For Fitzroy, J. Sharp defended splendidly; and Best (a brother of Senator R. W. Best), who gave up lacrosse to play football, was little, if anything behind him. Clarke did a lot of useful work, and Moriarity at times was useful, but the accuracy of the Magpie marksmen nullified all their defensive work. Beecham was ever busy in the centre; Bartlett, on the wing, was clever and pertinacious, and Wilkinson till hurt did fairly well. Barker roved very nicely, and was always in the fray. B. Sharpe followed hard and well. W. Naismith did well against the big opponents; and R. Smith, whether forward or in the ruck, was one of the best men on the side.

Gibson umpired well.

Team Stats

  • # Guernsey
  • GL Goals
  • B Behinds
  • K Kicks
  • H Handballs
  • D Disposals
  • M Marks
  • HO Hit Outs
  • FF Frees For
  • FA Frees Against
  • T Tackles
Provide feedback Ask the Experts