Main content

The complete history of the Mighty Magpies

21 May 1910 | Round 3

  • Collingwood
  • vs.
  • St Kilda

Victoria Park (Home)

  • 13.13 (91)

    • QT 14.3

    • QT 25.6

    • QT 38.8

    • QT 413.13

  • -

  • 2.6 (18)

    • QT 10.3

    • QT 22.4

    • QT 32.5

    • QT 42.6

Match Report


Though strengthened with new blood – Roach (from the Essendon League team), Rowe (who played in a few matches list year), Lamprell (from North Lyell, Tasmania), and Nilen (from Kalgoorlie, West Australia) – Saint Kilda made a poor showing against Collingwood at Victoria-park. There was not sufficient wind to affect the play, and generally the conditions gave the visiting team every chance, though the ground was slippery.

St. Kilda’s hopes were in the hands of a dozen players, and this was not encouraging. Clever, determined rushes around the wings, or brilliant centre work by a few men were invariably rendered profitless by the failure of the forwards to do their share. It is here – in the forward ranks – that St. Kilda is exceptionally weak, and on Saturday’s result considerable improvement will be necessary.

Collingwood, who played Jackson, late of St. Kilda, in place of Sadlier, made a rush at the bounce, but St. Kilda’s defence proved equal to the occasion, and the play was returned to the centre. Clever handball and sure passing enabled Collingwood to regain possession, and in a few minutes the registered a goal and a behind. Eicke, Willliams, and Roach shone out in some brisk play on the grand-stand wing, and Rowe (St. Kilda) made a brilliant, fast run over half the oval. The situation merely served to show St. Kilda’s want of combination. The Collingwood back men relieved practically without opposition, and the ball travelled down again, and went through the posts three times to Collingwood’s credit. The scores of the end of the quarter–Collingwood, 4-3, St.Kilda, 3 behinds are a reliable indication of the difference in the play of the respective teams.

St. Kilda opened the second quarter with a goal in the first minute, and their success infused some enthusiasm into their play. Nilen made two desperate runs, and sent the play forward, but he received no support. Individual players repeated the efforts, with the same result. There was no system, and with a substantial lead, Collingwood appeared to be resting. St. Kilda could not kick and on three occasions easy shots were missed. Lamprell, their new man, took all the lustre from a splendid mark right in front of goal, by kicking only a behind.

For several minutes St. Kilda prevailed, Lamprell finally snapping a good goal. Collingwood took possession at the bounce. Their shortkicking and handball were splendid, and, from a determined rush, Boxter marked a long way off, and scored. St. Kilda fought hard to improve their position, but their efforts failed from want of system. Time and again they got the ball within scoring distances, but the goal posts were neverwide enough, and invariably it was a case of out of bounds. Collingwood on the other hand, missed hardly a chance, and they put on 3 more points before half-time.

Play was even for the first 10 minutes of the third quarter, and St. Kilda showed to much better advantage. Thomas, their recruit from Brunswick put in some dishing work; and Eicke, a 17 year old boy also rendered fine service. Theykept the Collingwood defence hard at work, but could not score, and after some scrambling in front of goal, Collingwood proved their superiority.Jackson was the last link. In a chain of marks which brought the play down the length of the ground, and he sent the ball on to Ryan. Ryan scored a goal; and another followed in a couple of minutes. Collingwood repeated the rush several times, and Lee who had not previously shown out to any extent, made some brilliant marks. Thomas bore the brunt of St. Kilda’s work, and, with even one good forward, who could kick straight his labour would have borne fruit. As it was only one point was scored for the quarter, and Collingwood led with 8-8 to 2-5.

The last quarter was chiefly an exhibition of goalkicking by Lee. Collingwood snapped the ball at the bounce, and rushed it without difficulty past St. Kilda’s defence. Here Lee took possession, and during the quarter he kicked three goals making six goals in all to his credit. St. Kilda, livened up a few minutes before the final bell and a behind was added. Their case, however was hopeless, and the crowd showed its appreciation of that fact by dispersing. The final scores were: – Collingwood, 13 goals 13 behinds (91 points); St Kilda, 2 goals 6 behinds (l8 points).

Collingwood did not by any means play up to last year’s form, but the game was so easy that, after the first quarter, no exertion was called for. Their best men were McHala (centre) Scadden  (half back), Gibb (wing). Ryan (following and forward), and Rowell (in goal). Lee kicked six goals, but, except during part of the last quarter, he showed none of his usual brilliance.

Thomas, for St. Kilda played dashing, resourceful football, and was easily the best man on the ground. He received most support from. Eicke (roving), Roach (half-back), Morrissey and Dangerfield (following), and Outen, Stewart, and Rowe (wing). Tulloch umpired fairly.

1910 ‘ST. KILDA OUTCLASSED.’, The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 – 1957), 23 May, p. 5, viewed 4 August, 2015,

Team Stats

  • # Guernsey
  • GL Goals
  • B Behinds
  • K Kicks
  • H Handballs
  • D Disposals
  • M Marks
  • HO Hit Outs
  • FF Frees For
  • FA Frees Against
  • T Tackles
Provide feedback Ask the Experts